In France, the dish is called “pain perdu,” meaning “lost bread.”Originally, people made French toast from stale bread in order to make use of bread that would otherwise have been thrown away. Here in Rhythm108 kitchen, we’re all for saving food!
Classic French Toast recrafted to Plant-based Perfection
- A loaf of bread we used sourdough
- 2 tablespoons flour we used gluten-free oat flour
- 2/3 cups creamy almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon bourbon vanilla powder
- 2 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup or coconut flower nectar or less if you want
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- A pinch of cinnamon
- A pinch of salt
- Mix the ingredients into a smooth batter
- Heat a pan on medium heat
- Add 2 teaspoons coconut oil into the pan and spread across the pan into a thin layer, until it sizzles
- Dip the sourdough slices into the batter and fully cover the slices for a couple of minutes
- Fry both sized of the toast until its crispy and cooked
- Add to a plate and top with caramelised bananas, berries, nuts, and maple syrup – or any other toppings of your choice!
from a small bakery nestled on the foothills of the Swiss Alps, we use our creativity and patisserie skills to reinvent your favourite, most indulgent treats with wholesome and nutritious ingredients, so you never have to miss out on the fun!